The Upper West Side (UWS) is one of Manhattan’s loveliest boroughs and currently my home address. It’s nestled between Central Park and the Hudson River and has historically been home to artists. Looking at the architecture that dominates the skyline, it’s easy to see their artistic influence – the building facades are gorgeous. The UWS is primarily considered a residential area, but it also has fantastic shopping, really good restaurants and is beginning to spawn a bar scene. Hooray! It’s a great place to live and a good neighborhood to make as your home base if you are just coming to visit.
My dear friend Diane and her family are coming for a few days over the holidays and, since I won’t be here, I wanted to provide them a list of possible restaurants. Hopefully they won’t feel quite as overwhelmed when considering their dining choices on the UWS. If there are any you like that I have missed, please let me know!
See You in the City!
– Lovely little cafe serving breakfast, brunch, lunch and tea. Open until 8pm
– Greek tapas and main dishes. Delicious and not terribly expensive. Really good atmosphere.
– Italian. Great interior, inexpensive and good food. Music is loud, though.
– Delicious, smaller portions, inexpensive.
– An UWS landmark with really good food. Expensive.
6. Jalapeno http://www.jalapenonyc.com/ 185 Columbus Ave
– Mexican. Good food, nice atmosphere, inexpensive.
7. Patsy’s Pizzeria http://www.patsyspizzeriany.com/ 61 West 74th St.
– Pizza place, well-known, well-priced. We’ve taken friends here for lunch when we need something easy and reliable.
8. Bistro Cassis 225 Columbus Avenue
– Delicious French food. Pricey. Good atmosphere.
9. Hummus Place http://www.hummusplace.com/ 305 Amsterdam Avenue
– Yum! Inexpensive and good.
10. Arte Cafe 73rd Street http://www.artecafenyc.com/ (next to Alice’s)
– Good Italian and not terribly expensive.
11. Sol y Sombra www.solysombranyc.com/ 462 Amsterdam
– Spanish tapas. Good, not too expensive.
12. Fred’s www.fredsnyc.com 476 Amersterdam
– Brunch, good, pictures of dog’s are all over the walls.
13. SoomSoom 166 W. 72nd
– Falafel Place. Good for lunch.
14. Rigoletto Pizza 208 Columbus Ave
– Pizza by the slice (not like Adam’s Morgan, slices in a good way). Good for lunch.
15. Grolla Pizza 403 Amsterdam Avenue
– My favorite pizza by the slice! Limited seating.
– Good, clean, reliable diner.
8. The Fatty Crab http://www.fattycrab.com/locations/ 2170 Broadway
Stay Away From: Columbus Tavern and Arte Around the Corner